1, Few basic parts of the door access control system
Going through the access control system installation manual can help the person to find out the different parts that make up the entire system. Instead of keys, ID badges or access cards are being used in organizations these days. Access can also be restricted to workstations using the access control systems including file rooms which houses sensitive data, entry and exit doors and printers. Usually, it is the management agency or the landlord who manages exterior door access, especially in larger buildings. But it is the tenant company that is in charge of taking care of interior door access to the office.
Majority of the people ignorant about the development of the latest technology such as access control system are likely to imagine that it is only about cards, with the card reader mounted upon the wall close to the door. But in truth, there are various parts that work together to provide access to authorized people. Going through the access control system installation manual can provide a better understanding.
2, Is there a need to learn about the system?
Experts suggest that there is no need for learning. But doing so can help save time during the installation process and also ensure that it functions properly and as assured by its manufacturers. If any problem arises during the project, it can be dealt with before calling the experts. Having a basic grasp of the subject is sure to help.
3, Basics of access control installation: Things to consider
- System type: It is definitely a crucial factor, where the user is required to carry out full system evaluation to ensure that its purpose is derived satisfactorily. For instance, should it be an integrated, standalone, cloud-based, mobile based or other types of a personalized solution?
- Objectives: It is necessary to have a very clear purpose to install the access control system, based upon the security level that is desired for installation. For example, high valued assets such as communication types of equipment, servers, mission-critical data are to be taken proper care of at every window, exit and entry point as well as other openings where they might get compromised.
- Devices: A good buyer is one who will select the most appropriate device. In order to select the most robust and suitable device, it will be necessary to take into consideration the professional level evaluation of the capabilities and features of a locking system.
- Authentication type: It is essential to select the most suitable and powerful authentication type like key fobs, biometric, keypads, electromagnetic cards, touchscreen, etc. This is indeed an important aspect that cannot be neglected or avoided to ensure installation of good and functional access control system. Biometric can be used to safeguard high-security assets.
- Cost: This is definitely a critical component that needs to be considered during the purchase and installation. Less valuable assets obviously will not need much investment in security purpose. But high-value asset security should not be underplayed and invested less. It will be wise to be always prudent and take the right decision.
- Technology: The best available technology that suits the access control system should be selected based on security objectives and system assessment. Multiple options are present to select from with regards to technology like cloud-based access via IoT model, wireless or wired connectivity to servers and nodes in Cloud, mobile-based access or multiple technology combinations.
4, How access control systems are to be installed?
The typical process is to be based on pre-planned and pre-evaluated technology as given below:
- The necessary access control system accessories and equipment are to be unpacked.
- Install ducts, terminals of cabling, closets, and pathways.
- Now lay cables for wired technology or install at designated points, the wireless routers.
- At every door, install door readers and door locks.
- At planned points, install sensors.
- At central point, install the main controller and connect wirelessly or using wires.
- If the PoE system is not used, then connect power cables.
- Configuration engineer to be handed over with installation after testing physical power.
The access control system installation manual will clearly specify the installation procedures.